MASS LIVE STREAMED ON YOUTUBE
Mass is livestreamed at 11.30am on Sundays.
MASS and OPENING TIMES
Holy Mass is celebrated in the Cathedral at the following times:
Sunday: 8am, 10am, 11.30am & 6.30pm. The Cathedral is closed after the 11.30am Mass until 5.30pm
Monday– Friday: 12.05pm. The Cathedral opens at 11am & closes immediately after mass/confessions.
Saturday: 10am. The Cathedral opens at 9am & closes after mass.
HOLY SOULS MEMORIAL CANDLES
With the exception of 2020, on the Memorial of the Holy Souls, 2nd November, it has become an annual tradition at the Cathedral to light candles in remembrance of our departed loved ones. This year on Tuesday 2nd November candles will again be lit and displayed on the sanctuary steps throughout the day.
Should you wish to sponsor a memorial candle, please use one of the envelopes marked for this purpose, which are now available at the back of church.
• Write the name of the person or persons on the label which you will find inside the envelope. Extra labels can be included should you wish to sponsor one or more candle.
• Replace the completed label/labels together with an offering (minimum suggested donation of £3 per candle) in the envelope and seal it.
• Hand in the envelope to one of the door stewards at Mass or place it in the donation box, you may also hand it in at the Pauline Books and Media.
YEAR OF THE EUCHARIST and SYNOD OF THE UNIVERSAL CHURCH
Bishop Robert has announced the Year of the Eucharist will be celebrated in the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and will be launched during Mass at St. Mary’s Cathedral this weekend on Sunday 17 October 2021 at 6.30pm, simultaneously with the launch of the 2021-2023 Synod of the Universal Church, called by Pope Francis, to help us better understand where we are as the People of God as we move forward in the wake of the pandemic.
The Year of the Eucharist will be celebrated in Episcopal Areas, Partnerships, Parishes and Schools and will provide a framework of prayer for the Diocese’s participation in the first stage of the Synod.
All are most welcome to attend the Mass, which will also be livestreamed to the Cathedral’s YouTube channel. See Live stream
COVID PRECAUTIONS UPDATE
Following the meeting held by Bishop Robert and his Council the following changes have been made:
• The use of hand sanitiser should continue on entry/exit.
• It is no longer necessary to have a one-way system around the church.
• Pews will not be blocked off, but the 1m social distancing rule is still in force between households/bubbles.
• The Lady Altar aisle pews (tower side of the Cathedral) will be kept at 2m distancing for those who wish to remain further apart. Some pews will be blocked off.
• Individual chairs must be kept at 1m apart.
• The use of face coverings is recommend, they MUST be worn when communal singing takes place.
• The Offertory Procession may take place (those taking part must sanitise hands before/after)
• The sign of peace remains suspended.
• The arrangements for Holy Communion are to stay the same.
• Readers will now use the ambo to proclaim the readings/bidding prayers.
• Churches will be deep cleaned once weekly and pew ends and touch points will be cleaned regularly after use.
Opening times are Monday-Saturday 10am-3pm and Sunday 10am-2pm.
PAULINE BOOKS AND MEDIA
Opening hours: Sunday 8:30am - 1pm; Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 10am - 4.30pm; Saturday 9:45am - 1pm