175th Anniversary of St Mary's

1844- 2019

This year on Wednesday 21st August, St Mary's will be commemorating 175 years of service as a place of Christian worship and sanctuary in our busy city.

Designed by Augustus Welby Pugin, opened in 1844 and paid for with 'the pennies of the poor', this church was built to address the needs of the rapidly increasing Catholic population of Newcastle which had been swollen by Irish immigrants in the first half of the 19th century.

In 1850 following the Restoration of the Hierarchy in England and Wales however, St Mary's was raised to Cathedral status becoming the Mother Church of the newly designated Diocese of Hexham ( later to be renamed the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle). Interestingly until the 1880s and despite being Roman Catholic, it was the first and only Cathedral in Newcastle.

During the course of the year a programme of events both solemn and social has been planned to celebrate this landmark. These include organ recitals, talks and concerts when we hope you will come along to join us.

In collaboration with Newcastle City Guides, our participation in the 'Late Shows' on Saturday 18th May this year will take the form of an evening with Pugin and Cathedral characters from the Victorian era so why not take the opportunity to learn a little more about the early history of the building from the people involved.

Further details of the schedule will be available in weeks to come.

See Coming Events